Anne,

Probably no reason to reply as others have made many good points...but just
to speak for my self.

As I'm sure you are aware refined sugar is ubiquitous and IMHO poison to
our bodies.  If I used your chocolate metaphor I'd be removing the tomatoes
from the Ketchup? That's not what I want, I want refined sugar removed or
just never added.  The problem is as a society are palates are so
accustomed to sugar that it takes a while to adjust to the flavors with out
sugar. But the main reason I don't want to consume refined sugars are
here<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
 in this article which I find intriguing.

The evidence may be inconclusive however I choose to reduce or eliminate as
much refined sugar from my diet because the evidence is piling up which
scares me.

The Ketchup I spoke of has sugar added and though it's a small amount I
wish it didn't. As Eric has said tomatoes and fruit have natural sugars so
my preference would be to have any processed foods I eat to have as little
to no added refined sugars.

The chocolate I consume has in a (25g) serving sugar (lactose)2g, sugar
alcohols (9g)  net impact carbs 2g and it taste sweet and luscious.

I hope this answers you question.

Best,

~Hugh