I have an Eisentraut, too, though from the '70s. From what I know of his
history, he built race frames almost exclusively. He was probably the best
American frame builder of the day, but I don't see him as compararble to
Riv.

That's the rub, I'ld say.  Until 1970, when as Steve points out above
Schwinn first started selling lugged Japanese made frames, a person looking
to buy a practical bike that could handle commuting, touring, light camping
and fun rides was probably going to wind up with a Schwinn Varsity,
Continental, or maybe even the Collegiate.

Paramounts and the few custom builders out there were mainly for racers.
 Really a reflection of the market at the time.  Cycle commuting and
touring were very rare.  Sport cyclists existed, but no where near as
mainstream as they are today.