On 12/17/2013 12:22 PM, Jim M. wrote:
On Monday, December 16, 2013 10:27:10 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:

    Who made the USA's finest lugged, steel, frames back then and what
    were the prices like?

I think that's a different question than who was Rivendell in the '60s. Rivendell's are great frames (I have 3), but I'd say a Bruce Gordon or a Peter Weigle is a finer, USA-made lugged steel frame.

But the question isn't just who are among the best American frame builders today; it's in the 1960s. And in the 1960s, Peter Weigle had yet to move to England, along with Richard Sachs, to learn how to build frames. As was mentioned, Albert Eisentraut does date to that period, having begun in 1959.