Tony,

Was there a larger Hilsen 650b made? This is a really good question...

I'm presuming as in the other end of the spectrum (smaller sized frames)
there is less demand for bikes in larger stand overs. Rivendell has learned
a lesson or two in moving/selling those frames at either end...a buddy of
mine bought a 47 cm Hilsen for half of what I paid for my Hilsen lucky so &
so...it's the old distribution model where businesses would project what
sizes and number of units they needed and rolled the dice they'd all sell.

These days the distribution chain is more controlled (thanks to computers)
and you see less actual deals because of leftover stock. Instead retailers
(not talking bike frames here) mark up their products 2.5 to 3 times
wholesale with the notion that at the end of the season they can mark down
and recover their investment.  Rivendell works off the old model because
that's 1.)  the way the frame & fork industry operates in small batches
(unless your Trek or Specialized) and 2.) I'm also assuming here they
figure on doing customs for the sizes outside the average these days (not
bashing Riv here) and deferring the financial burden to the buyer of their
non standard sizes. I never really realized that my Hilsen was the largest
650b they listed/produced.

I also know that you know all this it's just me being didactic for my own
sake.

~Hugh

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep
moving." -- Albert Einstein

http://velocipedemusings.blogspot.com/