What is the height and diameter of the dome your making?  It looks similar to what we use for R2D2 droids.  The R2D2 domes are available as vacume formed Styrene.  Also in Aluminum.

Andy

From: Doug Conn <dwconn...@comcast.net>
To: rctankcombat@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:50:22 PM
Subject: [TANKS] turret molding question

Hello –

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my plan to build a turret mold. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll use fiberglass or vacuform. I thought I’d build the mold and then drill vent holes (and hollow it out a little) if I decided to use vacuforming.

I want to use layers of ½” or 3/8” MDF to build the basic turret shape and then fill the stair-step gaps with filler and sand until I have the right curves. The diagram below shows what I’m thinking in cross-section. The yellow shows MDF and the blue is filler material.

At first, I was going to use Bondo as the filler material but now I’m thinking that is overkill. I may be able to get away with something easier to work with like spackle or water putty (http://www.waterputty.com/ ). What do you think ? Any thoughts about what kind of filler would be appropriate ? I know I’ll need to polish like crazy if I make this a fiberglass mold.

               Thanks a lot,

               Doug