Doug Conn wrote:
> I created patterns for the MDF layers by taking horizontal slices of the
> tank turret from a 3d model. I was hoping that by having those slices the
> right shape, there would be a lot less I'd need to eyeball when sanding.

You can use the "bread and butter" approach:

1) Create each horizontal slab using the "maximum" dimension for each
slab.  In other words, each slab will extend "outside" the desired surface.

2) Create a paper template for each slab using the "minimum" dimension
for each slab.  The paper will represent the desired surface.

3) Sandwich the paper between the slabs and glue everything together.

4) Sand away the exposed edges of all slabs until you hit paper, making
a smooth transition from one slab to the next.

No artistic skill needed, just a long rasp or file used with long
strokes and patience.

        Frank P.