I'm looking at building a very similar turret for my T55, I'm going to
be using foam and plaster filler. Easy to shape, cheap to buy. Maybe
cut your layers in foam, then simply fill in the rest with filler

I'm going to be fibreglassing mine simply because I have more
experience with it then I do with vacuforming.

 Chris. b