Hey Peter!
Yup, I'm just starting a build myself (for the first time, so I'm BOUND to
botch more than a few something's...) But I'm taking a much different route
than most others here.
As to the how-to's: you cant' beat simply looking through the various build
writeups/pics on the website. If an idea about an RC combat tank hasn't been
written up/tried/documented there, it's probably because it wasn't a very good
idea. Either that, or there are some REALLY smart people out there who are
keeping information to themselves.

My $0.02 anyway.

Toodles!
James