one of the first things about rc tanks is that most of them use 2
motors... it is very difficult for you to build a tranny with only 1
motor. The simple way unless you are a mechanical engineer is to use 2
motors... one for each side. and then you will need a speed controll
to controll them. aka electronic speed controll. there are directions
in the how to section from simple to complicated. you will also need
to think about radios and recievers... the radio sends a signal to the
reciever that is in your tank and then the reciever sends the signal
to the speed controll then the speed controll sends the signal to you
motors and makes them go..

 right now, forget about the body... get a rolling chassis powered by
electric motors. then make it move under its own power....get it to
the point that you can go foward, back left and right on its own
power. also get a reliable track system.. then the rest will fall into
place

you can ask anyone here.. it is all about trial and error. and you
wont know if it works unless you try it. right now I don't have a tank
built yet but I know of about 50 ways that don't work... it is about
50% money and 25% willpower to finish and 25% creativity... I know a
couple of guys that tried to build one and gave up in less than a
week... I have been working on mine for about 3 monthes now and just
barely have a rolling chassis... it takes time and lots of trips to
the hardware store and scrounging parts

this is of course just my experience... (what little I have)
this tank curse I have now has also led me to make my own cnc machine
to make my own parts because I cant buy what I want