John,

I have found that 3/4" is probably overkill.  I have 3/4" axles on the
Sturmtiger.  After the
KV-2 is finished, I will be rebuilding both the my M113 chassis and
Sturmtiger chassis in
PVC sheet.  There are aspects of both of those builds that need to be
addressed.  The
KV-2 I'm currently building is using 5/8" axles.  I think you will find most
tanks use 5/8".
A well supported 5/8" axle is probably ideal.  Folks have been known to bend
1/2" axles.
Of course the Russians were allies in WWII so it is nice to see more ally
representation
especially since no one has actually finished or battled a Sherman.  Quite a
few have come
really close to being fully operational (see T020 and T041), but their
owners don't post here
very often.  Personally I like the Sherman, but lack the skills to build one
with all the curves
and such.  I like them since I've spent a lot of time wrenching on real 1:1
Shermans and
even had the opportunity to drive them on occasion.

Welcome!

Derek
T065