I helped the High School kids with their First Robot last year and the kit
did have some older ESC's in it.  The smaller, older one was an IFI Victor
884 (40A) (
http://www.vexrobotics.com/products/vexpro/victor-speed-controller.html) in
the kit they had.  They are actually the same price and have fewer control
options which is why I think they have switched over to the Black Jaguar.  I
use Victor 883's in two of my tanks and I love them (more expensive and 60A
continuous).  I have to use a IMX-1 mixer (
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-IMX1.html) to get track mixing.
 I like the fact that they are simple, repairable, and reliable.

Derek