And despite my having been a lurker for far too long...

Batteries.

We've got Lead-Acid, Li-ion, NiCd, NiMH,  and... probably some others.

Lead-Acid seems to be the darling here as they're cheap and relatively compact.
But if weight is an issue (as it is for my wheeled vehicle)...

What's a good bet without breaking the bank? I was thinking of splicing a
couple laptop batteries (12V @ 4.8 amp hours each) together for ~9 amp hours
for my single 12v motor (they're pretty compact and light) but... Thoughts?

Are lead acid all they're cracked up to be? And are the extra $$$ worth it for
the others?

Ta!

James