This is an excellent point you make. It isn't that people's "wants" have
changed. People have always wanted to do what I described. It's just that
before, they couldn't do it because the technology didn't allow the
possibility of it. Today, the technology has developed to the point where
people *can* do these things that they always wanted to, but were never able
to do before. Currently, they still need a lot of help, as I tried to show.

That's an important refinement when considering Cutter's questions and
rules. The questions he poses are the questions that people asked only
*after* they had aligned "their intention with a bookish mindset and then
walk[ed] into a library"--and then very probably after prolonged discussion
with a reference librarian.

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

James Weinheimer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 327