Bernhard Eversberg wrote:
On the other hand, there _remain_ also those cases when someone is
actually after a book, a paper, an opus or an opera, and preferably the
physical object or a complete file (and not just a page or
a part or a snippet). We are used to regard these cases as the
predominant ones but they likely are not - do we have any statistics?

I don't think we do, but there is the OCLC report on user perceptions of
libraries that states on p. 1-17 that only 1% of people questioned say
that they begin an information search in the library catalog. 84% begin
with an Internet search engine. p. 1-26 has some higher figures for
libraries, with the physical library getting an 11% rating for first
choice for looking for information (search engines get 80%). page 1-20
has interesting stats on how people find out about new information
sources (61% from a friend, 8% from a librarian).

There are other figures about how many people have used their local
public library and how often, and what they do when they are there. Of
the services, free books and free internet access are at the top.

The study was done in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia/Singapore/India.
There's a real wealth of information in the report -- it's well worth
studying. And I guess you CAN say that you learned about it from a
librarian. ;-)

http://www.oclc.org/reports/2005perceptions.htm

kc

--