How do we explain the huge number of searches done every day on the web (in
2006 213 million according to Search Engine Watch
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2156461). Do these people
represent the unsatisfied customers before the web? People are using the
internet for non-library functions today, such as to watch videos--but it
sounds as if our users come to the library today to do the same thing.

There is a lot of data for library use from pre-internet days, but it counts
things such as circulation, or physical bodies in the library, and it is
very difficult to compare this data with the data we can get today. It's
great that your reading rooms are doing well and book checkouts are steady.
It's just that in pre-internet days, we had pretty much a captive audience.
If somebody wanted information, they could come to our libraries, use their
old Britannica or Funk & Wagnell's, or do without. Once they came to a
library, they could use the card catalog, ask a reference librarian, or
flounder around helplessly and just browse the shelves. Many preferred to
flounder around and just browse the shelves. The way I see it is: the moment
our users had a real choice, they jumped at it. One of the trends today is
to eliminate the reference desk, and have reference librarians (who are
going through just as profound changes as anyone else) work virtually or
walk around the library.

I guess that I am concerned that the statement "Google's mission is to
organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and
useful," may well end up correct and will be far more correct than anything
libraries do.

Too bad we have to play catch-up!

James Weinheimer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 327