Quoting Matthew Short <sho...@illinois.edu>:

I can definitely say from experience that the users I work with are often >frustrated by our online catalog. They don't understand why it is so >complicated to find, for example, a Spanish translation of Camus' The First Man >or why there are so many different records for what seems to them to be >essentially the same item. FRBR might make such things easier. That said, it >is much too early, I think, to tell if it actually will.

I don't think we need FRBR to accomplish this (although it might help), just a better use of the data we already have. However, first we have to define this kind of case as one of the ones we want our data to address. Then we need to organize our data in a way that we can derive these kinds of relationships. There's no reason why we couldn't have:

Camus, Albert
  Premier homme
  (original text)
  (language: French)
  (ID:123)

  Primo uomo
  (language: Italian)
  (is translation of --> (ID:123)

  First man
  (language: English)
  (is translation of --> (ID:123)

  Primer hombre
  (language: Spanish)
  (is translation of --> (ID:123)

and have these display such that from any point you get a link to "other language versions". (That is, anything with: "(is translation of --> (ID:123)") A direct search for a Spanish translation would be:

((is translation of --> (ID:123)) + (language: Spanish))

Note that this is a "verbal" example of something that would be more machine-like under the hood.

Why don't we have this now? In part it's because our data is locked up in records, and the records are stored as units in our databases. That's not because the people designing those databases are stoopid; it has a lot to do with how we update our data (full record replace: MARC doesn't allow any other option, by design) and related issues of efficiency. It also simply because of our reluctance to give up MARC.

What I have given above is an example of "linked data" -- a way of organizing information so that it is easier to pull out information based on relationships. It is what some of us see as the current best "next data carrier" for library data. It wouldn't have to change the meaning of our data, but would definitely change its form.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net