From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind [rochk...@jhu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:20 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Time and effort

That's pretty neat stuff Jim.  My Umlaut software approaches from a different
direction, taking known items (rather than searches) and trying to find
supplementary in other specific databases; for now mostly focusing on finding
electronic full-text or searching (which is useful even without full text), but
also including some actual supplementary info like 'cited by' information for
journal articles. More sources of supplementary info could be found later.

Here are some examples. Oh, it's also worth noting that what makes it more
feasible to do this kind of thing is the numeric identifiers in our records:
ISBN, ISSN, LCCN, OCLCnum.  And supplementary databases that use those same
identifiers -- Google Books even has LCCN and OCLCnum in it, for matching.
Every time somebody cataloging workflow removes useful identifiers like this
from the record because "we don't need them", or 'our system can't handle
them', it saddens me.  Likewise, when actual offiial cataloging 'standards' put
such useful identifiers in uselessly ambiguous places (like sticking valid
alternate-version ISBNs or ISSNs in a $z subfield!).

http://findit.library.jhu.edu/go/2133277
http://findit.library.jhu.edu/go/2133279
http://findit.library.jhu.edu/go/2133280