Abbas, June M. wrote:
<snip>
But, in light of all of these insightful discussions, is linked data even going
far enough? Is it really providing users with useful representations of the
objects in our collections? Is MARC + FRBR (encoded by whichever standard the
community settles for) BUT released from relational database structure
constraints = Enough? Are we yet capturing attributes that our users search
for? that they naturally use to organize their own collections (see Flickr,
YouTube, LibraryThing Common Knowledge project)? I humbly submit, NO. Throw in
years of user behavior research with an emphasis on the newer research on Web
2.0 and libraries and user-centered design with these users in mind, and what
do we have?
</snip>

These are some excellent and forward-looking questions. I completely agree with
Karen Coyle about the primary importance of linked data. For a nice overview of
at least a lot of my own views, you can see the blog posting of a long thread
at NGC4LIB at
http://celeripedean.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/ngc4lib-on-tim-berners-lee-and-the-semantic-web/,
 but it is more important for everyone to watch the interview with Tim
Berners-Lee at
http://fora.tv/2009/10/08/Next_Decade_Technologies_Changing_the_World-Tim-Berners-Lee,
 which I found inspiring and demonstrates some of the areas where I believe we
could participate as very important players. For some other, very good ideas,
see Eric Morgan's post on NGC4LIB at
https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=NGC4LIB;mvatdw;20100831080151-0400 and
the thread (which does get technical in some places).

It is my own opinion that whatever we produce cannot ever be "Enough" for what
people want and need from information. (Thanks for putting it that way, June!)
Those ways of thinking about the catalog are over, and I think, forever. While
this may be sad and regrettable, I think it is part of growing up and it is
just as well if those ideas are buried.

Once that is accepted, then we can figure out the best ways of fitting into the
new structures, and provide the very best that we can, and then link into the
best of the other "things" that others out there are producing, and will
continue to produce; then the synergisms produced *cooperatively* can be
something completely and totally new. When the idea of linked data is really
understood, you realize that the sky really is the limit, and while some things
produced may not be so positive in some people's opinion, other things will pop
up that will be beyond anything we can imagine right now, and can quite
literally blow everyone's minds, as Berners-Lee described so well.

This is an idea of the future that I would be proud to be a part of.

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
Rome, Italy
First Thus: http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/