Weinheimer Jim wrote:

<snip> But first of all, liberate works that are now incarcerated
inside all sorts of "collections" or "multiparts" (whose "workness"
is somewhat dubious). Here, the notion of the (physical) "item" is
really not the best of concepts, in terms of usability of the
catalog, to base a description and a record on. </snip>

A terrifying possibility, but one that I agree is probably necessary,

Without it, the entire RDA reality will remain a half-hearted FRBR
incarnation. Unless, of course, we add the concept of second-class
works, and make that well understood when confronting the general
public with our glittering new WEMI catalogs.

although libraries do not, and will not, have the resources to do it.
I remember working on single volume conference publications that
could take days because each one had dozens of individual papers, and
instead of one item, the single volume became 40 or 60 or more
records. I think the only way it could be done practically would be
through some kind of crowdsourcing.

The crowd of OCLC members would be too small?

Also in this regard, with the recent, and very positive, DMCA changes
and the possibilities to remix, the very notion of implementing
FRBR-type structures for these materials is staggering.

Of course, we may have to end up admitting that FRBR proper is a
pie-in-the-sky or pipedream, fine in theory but impracticable.

B.Eversberg