From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Bernhard Eversberg
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:16 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Interesting conversations about RDA and FRBR ...

Weinheimer Jim wrote:

> <snip> But first of all, liberate works that are now incarcerated
> inside all sorts of "collections" or "multiparts" (whose "workness"
> is somewhat dubious). Here, the notion of the (physical) "item" is
> really not the best of concepts, in terms of usability of the
> catalog, to base a description and a record on. </snip>
>
> A terrifying possibility, but one that I agree is probably necessary,

Without it, the entire RDA reality will remain a half-hearted FRBR
incarnation. Unless, of course, we add the concept of second-class
works, and make that well understood when confronting the general
public with our glittering new WEMI catalogs.

> although libraries do not, and will not, have the resources to do it.
> I remember working on single volume conference publications that
> could take days because each one had dozens of individual papers, and
> instead of one item, the single volume became 40 or 60 or more
> records. I think the only way it could be done practically would be
> through some kind of crowdsourcing.

The crowd of OCLC members would be too small?

> Also in this regard, with the recent, and very positive, DMCA changes
> and the possibilities to remix, the very notion of implementing
> FRBR-type structures for these materials is staggering.

Of course, we may have to end up admitting that FRBR proper is a
pie-in-the-sky or pipedream, fine in theory but impracticable.

B.Eversberg