On the point about reinventing--it's worth noting that Classical Archives
succeeds by being more rigorous, more uniform, and more extensive in its use
of what librarians would call uniform title data--form terms,
instrumentation, etc.--than librarians are. So maybe it doesn't matter
whether the user community understands "uniform titles," as long as uniform
title data is presented to them in a useful way. Given that catalog records
have made this harder by burying many uniform titles in 245 fields, not
providing a uniform set of identifying information, and treating uniform
titles generally as optional data, the struggles systems have had with
providing inclusive, well ordered index displays is understandable. RDA's
extensions of the MARC21 authority format could help with this, if they're
uniformly applied. A big "if" ...

On the point about generating descriptions of higher-level objects from
attributes common to sets of manifesation records--often the higher-level
object whose attributes we'd like to capture is only partially represented
and deeply enmeshed in attribute statements about the manifestation.
Manifestations are far from being transparent containers of works and
expressions. Deriving work and expression descriptions from them is a good
idea, but it will be a lot harder than it looks. More broadly, though,
letting the recognition that some sets of objects contain a common
work/expression drive the choice of which work/expressions to establish
makes a lot of sense.

Stephen

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Mike Tribby <mike.tri...@quality-books.com

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries