Kathleen Lamantia asked:

>If my institution does not buy/adopt RDA immediately thereafter, will we st=
>ill be able to do original cataloging?

In answer to a question concerning reprospective change to legacy
records, OCLC informed me that they will leave AACR2 records as they
are, and continue to accept AACR2 records, since they regularly have
new libraries join OCLC, which load their legacy records.

But purchasing the RDA Toolkit or print version is not required to do
RDA compatible records.  I'm sending you SLC's RDA cheat sheet.

Our experience is that the cheat sheet is far easier to comprehend
than RDA.

Since the records you are preparing do not require the display of an
alternative to GMDs, and are not Bibles or treaties, the differences
are not great.  Needing to spell our all abbreviations not found in
the item is the major change.

This is assuming you rarely have a geneology prepared by more than
three people, which with AACR2 would be entered under title.  With
RDA, it would be entered under the first author mentioned, and all
authors may be listed in 256/$c and traced.