>From Bernhard Eversberg:

"As was pointed out in another posting, there's the danger of a digital divide
in the cataloging world. This cannot be in the intention of anyone concerned
about improved access to library materials. The only way to prevent this, and
prevented it must be, is to make the text of the rules open source. It is to be
regarded like a law, and texts of laws are free for the good reason that people
cannot be expected to abide by a law they have no access to because they cannot
afford to buy it.
Likewise, RDA will fail without this approach. The text must be made
universally accessible to become useful."

While I agree entirely with what Bernhard says about what should be done to
disseminate RDA if RDA is to be a success, it is not and never has been the
intent of the co-publishers to make RDA available for free or anything like
free. In fact I daresay it has been understood from the beginning of this
process that RDA was intended to pay for itself. It's not a secret, though it's
also not the first thing the RDA crowd mentions when touting RDA.

Should cost of access and the possibility of universal access have been
concerns? I think they should have been-- but they were not. To perhaps put it
crassly: theoretical purity was a higher concern than access. It's hard to
blame the co-publishers very much since none of them are exactly rolling in
extra money, and this process has been expensive, but some of us have been
complaining about the assumed cost of subscriptions to RDA for some time now.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com