Am 17.03.2011 14:30, schrieb Mike Tribby:

 While I agree entirely with what Bernhard says about what should be
 done to disseminate RDA if RDA is to be a success, it is not and
 never has been the intent of the co-publishers to make RDA available
 for free or anything like free. In fact I daresay it has been
 understood from the beginning of this process that RDA was intended
 to pay for itself. It's not a secret, though it's also not the first
 thing the RDA crowd mentions when touting RDA.

Of course, the co-publishers are now in an uneasy situation not
entirely of their own choosing.
From the outset, it should have been understood that the world is a
different one now from what it was when AACR2 came out. It was already
clear that interest in metadata went far beyond libraries (Dublin Core
had existed for a while then). And I think it must have been clear by
that time that a model based on paid access was not going to be accepted
by most of the targeted communities.
There must be a way to get around this now, or chances for RDA will
be very slim indeed. Since we can never want the digital divide, there's
no way than to boycott RDA and turn to Mac's sheets and Jim's "Open
Cataloging Rules" with their free access to the LCRIs and such.
As things stand now, the co-publishers have the global monopoly on the
RDA text. Which should never have happened in this time and age.

B.Eversberg