The RDA Element Set View (as opposed to the main RDA text) already closely
resembles this ONIX document. In the long term I would prefer the Element Set
approach because it brings all relevant details about an element together,
which I view as a very practical approach, with tangible benefits in improving
training and enhancing the record creation process.

For example, the sources of information are listed in detail with each element
(instead of in the preamble), along with the recording guidelines, and with
related elements like "Source Consulted".

Newly added (I don't recall seeing these the last time I looked) are links to
the MARC21 encoding fields for these elements (and the main RDA text doesn't
have these direct links to MARC21). Each element should include the method of
inputting, which the ONIX document has. Right now we're stuck with the various
MARC conventions, as opposed to the simpler element approach in ONIX and RDA.

For example, for Title of Person, ONIX has "<TitlesBeforeNames>" and
"<TitlesAfterNames>" and RDA has "Title of the Person." The MARC21 encoding
points to web pages for all the bibliographic (100, 700, 800) and authority
(100, 400, 500) fields, through which was one has to sift to find the delimiter
($c) and associated punctuation, then refer back to the content standard for
the choices that are made for the element. The status quo with AACR2-MARC is
the strange standard, and the most random and time-consuming way of cataloging.
The Element Set View in ONIX and RDA is quite rational, streamlined and
systematic in comparison.

Adding the business case for each element is an excellent idea in an Element
Set View. In looking at the ONIX entries for each element, the business cases
often focus on sales and inventory control, but mostly they just restate the
user task objectives in RDA in different words. For example, the ONIX business
case for recording "large print" is "Visually-impaired consumers need accurate
information on large print", which is basically the Select user task objective
in RDA for this element ("select a resource that is appropriate to the user's
requirements with respect to the physical characteristics of the carrier").

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library