At an Authority Control Interest Group meeting some ALA's back, LC's
Lynn El-Hoshy noted that subject authorities for animals are actually
undifferentiated. For example, there's only one subject authority for
"Lassie (Dog)" which covers all individual dogs named "Lassie."
There's also a separate subject heading for "Lassie (Fictitious
character)," so there could actually be three levels to this--Sneaky
Pie Brown as an undifferentiated name for cats, as a fictional
character, and as an authorial individual.

Arf! Arf!

What's that Lassie? Timmy's fallen in the well, and you've written
this book about it?

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries