From: J. McRee Elrod [m...@slc.bc.ca]
Sent: May-10-11 12:36 PM
To: Brenndorfer, Thomas
Cc: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Apocrypha

>Thomas said:

>>It would make sense then for religious works to follow the same pattern, which
>>would mean the Preferred Title for Genesis could be
>>"Genesis" instead of "Bible. Genesis"

>Very true.  How nice to agree with Thomas for a change.  It is
>Christian bias which has "Bible. Genesis" as opposed to "Torah.
>Genesis".  Genesis was in the Torah  centuries before it entered the
>Christian Bible.  Just "Genesis" is a faith neutral compromise.

In this case, I'm looking at "Genesis" as the value for the Preferred Title
element.

That doesn't preclude constructing authorized access points like "Bible.
Genesis".

Parts of the works generally have the part standing alone as the element for
the Preferred Title in RDA. Authorized access points for parts of works, on the
other hand, are often constructed by combining with other authorized access
points (such as for persons, corporate bodies, works):

Example: Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973. Two towers
[RDA 6.27.2.2]

Or elements can be added as qualifiers, as in the case of this variant
authorized access point:

Example: John (Book of the Bible)
[RDA 6.30.5.2]
In this case, the added element is called Other Distinguishing Characteristic
of the Work. This element can also be recorded separately in MARC authority
field 381-- Other Distinguishing Characteristics of Work or Expression
(http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad381.html).

So one could have the RDA elements arranged like this:

Preferred Title for the Work: Genesis
Other Distinguishing Characteristic of the Work: Book of the Bible

While the authorized and variant access points could remain the same as in RDA
now:

Authorized Access Point: Bible. Genesis
Variant Access Point: Genesis (Book of the Bible)

In the case of "Bible. Apocrypha. Tobit", one change would be to change the
authorized access point to:
"Bible. Tobit"

A different change would be to not use this entire long string as the Preferred
Title, but to just use "Tobit" as the Preferred Title, and to construct
authorized and variant access points out of it as needed. For those using
future databases that don't rely on authorized access points, this would
eliminate some confusion in having the value for elements carry embedded
authorized access points for larger works, which is inconsistent with how
titles of parts of works are treated throughout much of the rest of RDA. For
example, "Law, etc." and "Treaties, etc." are Preferred Titles in RDA, even
though they never appear alone in authorized access points.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library