Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

You _can_ do things this way, out of neccesity, but it's definitely not preferable from a data mangement point of view, right?

Jonathan, I didn't mean it as data management structure -- I meant it as a data resource, in the same way that xISBN is a resource. You don't expect to query xISBN for every transaction against your database, but you can use it to enhance your data store and help you make decisions. If at that point you want to add the "foreign key" to your data, that depends on all of the usual criteria one applies to such decisions.

We have a lot of information, collectively, that shouldn't have to be re-done by every cataloger. In part, this is what folks are hoping FRBR will help with, creating a pool of information about works and expressions so catalogers don't have to supply that information manually -- it will be accessible to the cataloging system and the information can be pulled in to the record the cataloger is working on, or can be accessed by an application that is doing record merging. Whether or not it then makes sense to incorporate that information locally, or to access it when needed, is a systems decision.

kc

 We're
talking about the difference between a a single 'foreign key' in each record stating that it's part of a certain work (preferable from data management point of view), compared to basically heuristics for guessing from as-written-on-title-page (or as entered by a user) title/author combinations (less preferable from data management point of view, but possibly neccesary to avoid the expense of human data control), compared to this idea of a "switching file" that is sort of just a human-controlled enhancement to the heuristics (but if you're going to spend human time doing that, why not just spend human time doing it right, the "foreign key" approach? The "switching file" approach is to my mind a less efficient encoding, not a more efficient one.)