From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Sunday, 8 January 2012 5:03 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Some comments on the Final Report of the FRBR Working
Group on Aggregates

Thomas said:

>The lack of an authorized access point doesn't mean the entity
>disappears or can't be accounted for. Control numbers and identifiers,
>as well as the collection of associated elements (including title by
>itself), can be used to point to an entity.

I'm trying to picture this in a footnote or bibliography.  I thought one goal
of RDA was to "play with others".  This turns our back on centuries of
scholarly practice.

Codes and\or "title by itself" would not work in the larger world.

And why all the new terminology?  What's wrong with "edition", "citation",
"main entry", "subject and added entries", etc.?  Are we using new jargon to
make ourselves feel important?  Mystify the uninitiated?

I don't suppose reverting to known terms is part of the mandate of the RDA
rewrite?