I am a RDA novice, as well, and find this discussion illustrative. My
understanding is that RDA was written (in part) to facilitate atomicity of
data and for use in databases that can fully exploit data relationships.
This is the rationale for format neutrality, the assumption being that in a
fully implemented atomic data/relational Db encoding schema, issues like
punctuation can be handled by display. RDA's format neutrality makes sense
when we are contemplating a non-MARC encoding environment (as I presume the
authors of RDA have been and are presently contemplating). From the
standpoint of encoding in MARC, however, it makes much less sense, since
MARC functions much more like a mark-up language than a relational database
language, and punctuation is central to way the semantics of various fields
work. For the near future, while we are all still working in MARC,
providing examples of data entry in the Toolkit for various RDA elements
using punctuation that does not conform to the standard (ISBD) adopted by
the cataloging community will only generate confusion, particularly for
those new to cataloging.

Cary T. Isley
Catalog & Metadata Librarian
Tulsa Community College