From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:48 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] question about dates in 264 fields

I’d say you never in fact need to use the “nuclear option” “date of publication
not identified” because you at least know that by the time a published resource
hits your desk it has been published, so you can always use “[not after January
11, 2013]” (see RDA 1.9.2.5).* However the option of not identifying the date
of publication is available and may be appropriate in some circumstances, but
if you do that you do need to go on and record a distribution, copyright, or
manufacture date if one of those is available.

*Note: I am deliberately ignoring the necessary fiction we employ at the end of
the year when a resource arrives with the next year’s publication date or
copyright date on it. I agree with the PCC-LCPS (2.8.6.6) that instructs LC and
PCC catalogers to supply (or record) the date corresponding to the date
recorded on the resource, e.g. I get a book in 2012 with a publication or
copyright date of 2013, I record or supply 2013, not 2012, even though I know
in my heart of hearts that the resource was actually on the market before 2013.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.