Rita Lifton asked:

>Referring to the statement that "many libraries are planning to strip
>off $4 and/or $e ...", are you saying that the subfields would be
?entered in cataloging and then suppressed? Just wanted to understand.

When SLC begins RDA cataloguing (when a majority of derived records
are RDA, April or May?) we intend to enter $4 relationship codes (in
accordance with LAC policy), which could be exported for clients as
$eterms in either English or French (drawn the code definitions, which
often differ from RDA terms).

So far, only one client has said they want relator terms.  All others
want them removed.  Therefore it is important to have added entries
justified in the description so that the relationship is known in the
absence of a code or term.  (There is the problem of unrelated access
points being retained when a record for one manifestation is edited to
create a record for another, e.g., the English and French versions of
the same work, universal for Canadian Federal documents.)

Of course if in the future we have a client whose ILS can translate
the codes, we would export the codes for them.

Our major clients these days are e-aggregators and e-publishers, who
in turn make records available to libraries with a variety of ILS
capabilities.  We are offering them the option of having both RDA and
AACR2 compatible versions of the records, at little additional cost.

So yes, we will enter the codes, but usually take them out on export;
most small libraries would not have the IT staff to take them out or
suppress them.

We will leave the codes in for records loaded to OCLC.  We don't load
all our records to OCLC, just for those aggregators and publishers who
want OCNs in their records.  LAC has stopped loading those records
because they lack Canadian ILL locations, but many are loaded to LAC by
libraries who acquire them from the aggregator or publisher; those may
lack the codes.  I have been unable to persuade LAC to see Amicus as a
source of catalogue records as well as a source of ILL locations.

I doubt if many libraries doing their own cataloguing would enter $4
or $e if they don't intend to utilize them.  We will do so since we
use the same records for all clients, thus they must be added if even
one client wants them.