I agree with Ben, but would like to point out that the rule about which statement of responsibility is "core" can get more complicated than just saying "it's always the first one".

RDA 2.4.2.3 says: "If not all statements of responsibility appearing on the source or sources of information are being recorded, give preference to those identifying creators of the intellectual or artistic content. In case of doubt, record the first statement."

In the case mentioned, if the five authors are the creators of the work (i.e. if the work is a collaboration), then obviously the statement of responsibility naming those five is the "core" one, because it identyfies the creators of the intellectual content.

But if you have a compilation, and the five persons are e.g. authors of essays in a collection (which brings us back to my example of a festschrift), it gets tricky. In this case, I'd argue that there is no statement identifying the creators of the work as a whole (as the compilation itself doesn't have creators), but only one naming the creators of the works contained (the individual essays).

Personally, I would then think of the statement naming the editors as the "core" one here, and not the one listing the authors of the essays. But you might also argue that, as things obviously get doubtful, you can solve the problem by simply taking the first s-o-r as the "core" one.

On the other hand, you might also argue that although the authors of the essays aren't the creators of the work as a whole, they are still "creators of the intellectual or artistic content", and so according to 2.4.2.3 must be preferred.

This sounds awfully complicated (maybe I'm just thinking too hard). And you must think that I'm obsessed with collections of essays... But they do turn up in cataloging, and I would really like to know how we should handle them.

Heidrun

 Benjamin A Abrahamse wrote:
RDA treats each "function" as a separate statement (see 2.4.1.6).

My reading of the "core note" to 2.4.2 (Statement of responsibility relating to title proper) is
that for "core", only the first statement of responsibility is required: " If more than one
statement of responsibility relating to title proper appears on the source of information, only the first
recorded is required."

So if you had a book with five authors, two illustrators, and two editors (e.g. three
statement of responsibility) you would only be required by "core" to record the
first (the authors).  You would further be allowed, according to the Optional Omission to
2.4.1.5 to record only the first author and summarize the remaining, e.g.: by John Smith
[and four others].

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries