Heidrun,

I agree - it's not clear. I'm not sure there's anything better than to transcribe the first name and then make a note about any other significant creators that you want to provide access points for. Something along the lines of:

245 / by John Smith [and 15 others]
500 Other significant creators: Robert Jones, Mary Roberts, Bill Hanson.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries