From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:49 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Statement of responsibility naming more than three persons etc.

After all this talk about German cataloging, I suppose it's time to get back to
RDA ;-)

The other day we discussed the optional omission for statements of
responsibility naming more than three persons, etc. (RDA 2.4.1.5). The general
feeling was that although everybody ought to try and follow the standard rule
(i.e. transcribe all names), it should be possible to use the optional omission
for very long lists, if transcribung all names simply cannot be accomplished. I
assume that a very similar idea is expressed in the LC-PCC-PS for 2.4.1.5 in
the word "generally" ("Generally do not omit names in a statement of
responsibility").

But I'm not happy that the only alternatives are either "all names" (standard
rule) or "only the first name" (option). Why shouldn't it be equally possible
to transcribe, say, the first three, five or ten names and then put "[and x
others]"? This might be a more satisfactory way of dealing with longish lists
than reducing them to only one name.

Of course I'm aware of the fact that the "only first name" rule corresponds to
AACR2. But still, I can see no reason why there shouldn't be more flexibility
here.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Heidrun

--

Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.

Stuttgart Media University

Faculty of Information and Communication

Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany

www.hdm-stuttgart.de/bi<http://www.hdm-stuttgart.de/bi>