From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Michele Estep
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 2:37 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Use of ISBD punctuation with RDA. And a workshop.

I will have to confess my ignorance about metric "symbols."  Until I began
studying RDA, I thought cm and other "symbols" were abbreviations.  (Am I the
only one so ignorant?  If so, I'm embarrassed.) So I understand what you mean.
cm without a period has nothing to do with RDA.

But what about AACR2 300 fields such as:

xxv, 980 p. : ǂb ill. (some col.) ; ǂc 24 cm. + ǂe 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)

This is an LC record from 2010.

Notice the period at the end of cm.

I'm curious as to when "cm" and other metric symbols changed from being an
abbreviation to being a symbol.  Has it been months, decades or has it always
been that way?  I suppose I could look it up myself.  Why have AACR2 records
continued to use an abbreviation instead of a symbol?

I'm curious about the story behind this.  Such a small little thing, a period.

Thanks.
Michele