Deborah Fritz <debo...@marcofquality.com> wrote:

> For preceding the $e with a comma, see the LC PCC PS for 1.7.1 Access
> Points in Name Authority and Bibliographic Records (General)****
>

> http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp1&target=lcps1-223#lcps1-223
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> 1. Punctuation/spacing within access points. Use internal punctuation to
> set off unambiguously the units of access points (including name/title
> portions of name/title fields). The marks of punctuation for this purpose
> are a period ( . ), *a comma ( , )*, a quotation mark ( " ), a question
> mark ( ? ), an exclamation mark ( ! ), and a *hyphen ( - )*.****
>
> ** **
>
> What other mark of punctuation would you use for a relationship designator?

That may be LC's intention.  Playing devil's avacado, though, is a
relationship designator "within [the] access points"?  I've contended for a
long time--based on nothing more than my gut feeling, really--that
designators are outside the heading/access point proper.  They're something
else; "spelled out codes," I sometimes call them.

**

> And see the examples given in MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data at:***
> *
>
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdx00.html****
>
> ** **
>
> Under:****
>
> *e - Relator term*****
>
> Designation of function that describes the relationship between a name and
> a work, e.g., ed., comp., ill., tr., collector, joint author. ****
>
> 700****
>
> 1#$aSmith, Elsie,$d1900-1945,$eillustrator.****
>
> 700****
>
> 1#$aHecht, Ben,$d1893-1964,$ewriting,$edirection,$eproduction.****
>
> **

I'd be happier with explicit instructions over a handful of examples.

Our shop works with OCLC, and Connexion forces the comma-and-full stop
pattern mentioned above.  My preference means nothing at the end of the
day.  We use what we get.

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex