Mark K. Ehlert wrote:

That may be LC's intention.  Playing devil's avacado, though, is a
relationship designator "within [the] access points"?  I've contended for a
long time--based on nothing more than my gut feeling, really--that
designators are outside the heading/access point proper.  They're something
else; "spelled out codes," I sometimes call them.

[DF:] Good point, I agree that designators are not part of the Authorized
Access Point-RDA makes that pretty clear, since they are a separate element.
So, you are right, Mark, that LC PCC PS won't help here. Drat. So,  we are
left with only the examples in the MARC manual(s)

I'd be happier with explicit instructions over a handful of examples.

[DF:] Again, I agree with you, Mark-I wish I could find an actual
instruction for this, but cannot. So we might just have to go with the
*logic* of the LC PCC PS-we *do* need something to "to set off
unambiguously" the relationship designator when it is displayed. And the
MARC manuals indicate that this should be a comma for $e and no punctuation
for $4 (since it is not intended for display, as entered).

$e is intended for display in the form in which it is entered; at least for
now. Therefore, it needs separating punctuation.

For an example, see the LC OPAC display of LCCN 2010922248

            700 1_ |a Helquist, Brett, |e illustrator.

                        Displays as:

            Related names    Helquist, Brett, illustrator.

It is my understanding that $4 is *not* intended for display in the form in
which it is entered. It is meant to be converted, either as a label or as a
spelled out form. Therefore, it does not need separating punctuation in the
record; when it is displayed, since it needs manipulation anyway, it can
either be given a 'following' colon, or a 'preceding' comma, as appropriate.

If it had been a $e instead of $f, then, it could display either of these
ways:

            700 1_ |a Helquist, Brett. |4 ill

                        Displays as:

            Related names:    Helquist, Brett, illustrator.

                        Or displays as:

            Illustrator:    Helquist, Brett.

Won't it be great when all punctuation is handled by the presentation
choices in our displays, so that we don't have to think this way anymore?
But then we'd better hope that the designers of the presentation displays
understand these issues!

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.