I've always had a problem with considering ETDs published, although I understand that for practical purposes it is easier to consider everything available via remote access as published. But I really don't see an electronic dissertation as anything less of a manuscript than a printed one. Particularly in the case of a printed thesis that has been scanned and posted online as a reproduction - is this really published now? If one were to run a macro such as OCLC has to generate the record for the digitized version off of the manuscript record, it would not have a place of publication or a publisher - these would have to be added as part of the process, and that seems unnecessary to me and others I've spoken with. We've been coding our ETDs in our digital repository as manuscript material.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries