Bernhard,

First off, thank you for continuing to contribute.  I have learned a great
deal from your posts.

Second, I agree that the notion of publication needs reconsideration in
light of a longer consideration of the history of the book from ancient
times until now.  I do not think that "anything fit for public reception"
is a workable definition.  Some person at some point in time needs to
consider that the item needs to be distributed and made available to a
public that is more than members of one organization.  Even that
definition has its problems.  I think that catalogers would well to
involve historians of the book and other materials in the discussion.

Larry

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head