I would think that the situation was the reverse. For much of the late 19th and most of the 20th century, there was often a gap of some years between the copyright date and the later date of publication or production. Knopf would generally (?) put the date of the printing on the t.p. with the copyright on the t.p. verso. If another publisher brought out an edition, the date of that edition would generally be different from the copyright date.

The dilemma of books arriving with a copyright date of the following year is something that I think is somewhat later, although I am sure examples could be found earlier. If something unusual can be done to a book in design or publication, some publisher will have done it.

Larry

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head,