From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Michael Borries
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 9:50 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Publication date/copyright date

I have wondered whether originally the approach of separating publication date
and copyright date didn't arise, in part, at least, from this phenomenon of
having books published earlier than the copyright date indicates.  I am
sympathetic to the concern that a cataloger with the book in hand in 2013,
copyrighted 2013, might wonder why the cataloging record available has 2012 in
the 264.  However, I wonder if the 588 note, or a 500 note, could not be used,
e.g., "Item received for cataloging March 10, 2012," thus indicating that the
book was in fact available in 2012.

Michael S. Borries
CUNY Central Cataloging
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor