It was very useful to be able to see the example you are dealing with-thanks
for that.

Based on the t.p. and verso (which Springer makes public), I would say that
Giorgio is  a contributor (in the RDA sense) at the expression level.

When you cannot pick a specific relationship designator, you can invoke the
general guidelines on using relationship designators given under I.1. The
last paragraph there says: "If the element used to record the relationship
(e.g., creator) is considered sufficient for the purposes of the agency
creating the data, do not use a relationship designator to indicate the
specific nature of the relationship." IOW, the element name is sufficient as
the relationship designator. This is very clumsy to explain, so I don't
really like this approach; but I suppose it does save us some typing,
because when the element name is enough, we do not need to add another
designator.

In this case, I would say that we have to consider the element term
"contributor" sufficient, since it appears that Giorgio contributed to the
expression by working on the overall compilation in some way, rather than
being one of the creators of the works contained in the compilation.

However, while we are in MARC, we do have to add the element term, because
our MARC label (700) is not specific enough to indicate the relationship.

So I would suggest:

=700  1\$aBarbarini, Giorgio,$econtributor.

My interpretation.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.