Alison Hitchens <ahitc...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Mac, I may have missed it on the list if there was a discussion
> that we could use element names as relators. I had RDA-L set to no mail
> while I was away!
>
> I've been going by the LC RDA training modules and they give the example
> of  publisher: "Publisher" isn't used as an RDA relationship  designator
> because that relationship is an element" although in the notes for the
> slide it says " However, there are no RDA police who would object if you
> used a different vocabulary and added a term such as "publisher.""
> (this is from slide 31 of the Relationships module)
>
> But those modules were created in the summer so things may have changed
> since then!  Using $e contributor seems clearer than not including a
> relator term at all since the 700 tag can contain many types of
> relationships

Another way to think of the Appendix I designators is that they are the
more specific forms of relationships depicted in Chapters 19-22.  Note the
headings for each portion of Appendix I and how they link up to the
elements in those chapters, e.g.:

RDA 21.4 (Distributor) <=> RDA I.4.3 (Relationship Designators for
Distributors)

Our use of "$e publisher" is based on this, rather than the term
originating from the relator code lists or elsewhere.

So I agree with the practice that if there is no suitable term in Appendix
I and/or none can be conjured up from elsewhere (e.g., $4 relator codes) or
made up, then bump up one level to the Ch. 19-22 elements.  (I've written
before about using "other (work)", etc., designators for those "other "
elements.)

The same sort of thing for the Appendix J designators: we've used "related
work" in added entries once in a while.

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex