Hi, all

I have a question about language of expression. RDA actually has two
separate sections for one language and more than one language in an
expression (not a manifestation). For one language, if my understanding is
correct, we record it only if it is a translation or a different language
edition.

For more than one language, RDA 6.11.1.4 says “If a single expression of a
work involves more than one language, record each of the languages”.
According to listed examples, if a motion picture has some dialogs in
English, some dialogue in German, and some dialogue in Russian, it is a
single expression. But if a motion picture has two dubbed versions (or
sub-titles) such as French and Spanish, in addition to its original English
language, is it a manifestation containing multiple expressions? If a
compilation contains the original text and one or more translation, it
definitely has multiple expressions.

For more than one language in a single expression, I was taught in a
training session to record multiple languages in one $l, such as $l
English, German, Russian. But I do not think that it could be supported by
RDA 6.11.1.4. I am not able to see words like “in an order”. Library of
Congress Policy? Or is it a MARC encoding thing?

For more than one language in multiple expressions, I was taught to record
them in separate fields such as multiple 700 fields but omit $h for the
original language. I believe that Library of Congress Policy says the same
thing. Apparently multiple expressions are not under the big umbrella of
RDA 6.11.1.4. Is it under 6.11.1.3?
Hope somebody would like to help :-)

Thanks for your time.

Joan Wang