From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Dana Van Meter
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 2:46 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Main series & subseries

I have a book which is issued in both a main series: Champs (Flammarion
(Firm)), which is numbered, and in a subseries: Champs (Flammarion (Firm)).|p
Essais, which is unnumbered.  My book is a paperback. The subseries appears at
the bottom of the front cover of my book as Champs essais.  The subseries also
appears at the bottom of the t.p. as Champs essais.  The main series does not
appear in name by itself anywhere on the book, but the numbering for the main
series does appear at the bottom of the spine.

My question is, as Champs does not appear alone anywhere, but only appears with
the subseries title Essais following it, it seems that I would need a second
490: 490 1_ [Champs] ;|v 988, with Champs in square brackets, as Champs never
appears by itself.  I hesitate to do a single 490-490 1_ Champs ;|v 988.
|aEssais, as the numbering appears by itself on the spine, it does not appear
alongside Champs essais.  I know that in RDA one is only supposed to use [  ]
when the information doesn't appear anywhere on the book, and is being taken
from elsewhere.  In my case Champs does appear, but it does not appear by
itself with the numbering, it appears only followed by the subseries title.
The way I see it, the name of the main series doesn't appear anywhere by
itself, or in conjunction with both its (the main series) numbering and the
subseries title, so I need to supply it in a separate 490 and in square
brackets.  I'm wondering if anyone would consider that the square brackets are
unnecessary as Champs appears on the publication followed by the subseries
title?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Dana Van Meter
Cataloging Librarian
Historical Studies-Social Science Library
Institute for Advanced Study
Princeton, NJ 08540
vanme...@ias.edu<mailto:vanme...@ias.edu>