My bad, I interpreted the issue as being one of parallel columns not pages,
obviously not having read the original post carefully enough. It does appear
however that a note is certainly in order in this situation, given the wide
variety of different ways that different catalogers interpret that the
numbering might be entered.

Having gone back to the original message, and with a clearer picture in my
mind (I hope) of the situation, I would still bear in mind that we are
recording Extent, and should try to indicate  what we actually have in the
book; so I now agree with Daniel that we should apply 3.4.5.5 to clarify the
numbering on the last page of the sequence , "cxciv, 148, that is, 195 pages
" and, as he says,  add the note indicating that the numbering of pages 1-47
is duplicated.

Otherwise, I guess we could always invoke 3.4.5.8 for complicated paging and
enter "1 volume (various pagings)", with an explanatory note.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.
(321) 676-1904