FWIW, here's what we're doing, and our rationale... Don't know if it's good or
bad, or if it's for everyone...

At present we are retaining GMD's in AACR2, and adding GMD's to RDA. (Sorry,
but we are.)

Presently we're supporting two separate OPAC products, one of which is old and
has very limited mechanisms for conveying format info. We have much better
options for representing format the new OPAC.

We do plan on removing all GMD's at some point prior to March 2016 (hopefully
well before then). The three prerequisites:

1.       We've upgraded all our sites to the newer better OPAC with nice format
labels and icons

2.       We've appended 33X fields to all legacy pre-RDA records

3.       We've configured our staff modules to display something conveying
format info in title hit lists. (Carrier? 300a?)

That's the general plan anyway.

Bruce Rennie
Bibliographic Database Librarian
Kansas City Public Library / KC-LSP
14 W. 10th Street | Kansas City, MO 64105
(816) 701-3404 | (816) 651-0528 (Cell)
bruceren...@kclibrary.org<mailto:bruceren...@kclibrary.org>