From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Miranda Nero
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 8:22 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] GMD - where is everyone on this?

We have not removed GMD from AACR-2 records that were in our system already or
that we are bringing in from OCLC, and we are also not adding them to RDA
records. Adding a GMD to and RDA record creates extra work that we don't have
the time for. We are switching to Sierra in November and because of the
Material Type icons in the client display, we are planning to remove all GMDs
and add 33x fields to the records once we have settled in with Sierra. The GMDs
are very helpful in scanning in Millennium (although we recommend our staff use
the limit button to distinguish between DVD and Blu-ray or Book on CD and Book
on Cassette), but in the minimal exposure the staff has had to Sierra so far,
they have looked straight to the Material Type icon. During this
transition/hybrid period, we haven't noticed much of an issue with the lack of
a GMD in some records.

Miranda Nero
Ocean State Libraries