Thanks for the citation, Mark.  I sometimes provide a summary in Spanish,
Russian, or Polish for resources in those collections, reasoning as Misha
does that mostly native speakers of those languages will be looking for
those materials.  (Usually cribbed from a book cover or publisher's
website, I should add, rather than totally homemade.) I think RDA 5.4 is
non-prescriptive enough to be read as allowing this.

We should be aware that LC and PCC practice as set forth in the LC-PCC PS
for 5.4 prescribes English.  Even so, I see no reason not to provide
parallel summaries when the information is readily available.

--
Richard A. Stewart
Cataloging Supervisor

Tel: 847-279-2214